Sunday 16 February 2014

Reversible-'Faux Infinity' Scarf Is Something To Tweet About!

Voila! My first proper creation of 2014! I promised my sister-in-law's best friend, Jenny, I would make her a scarf, if she would pick the material from my currently available stash.

Jenny loved the autumn colours in this charming print, featuring branches, berries, and garden birds on a creamy-ivory and beige background on high-quality medium-weight 100% cotton.  Luckily, I still had plenty of the plain, chocolate-brown cotton flannel for the coordinating flip-side!



I asked my sister-in-law whether Jenny would prefer one of my reversible standard scarves, or an infinity scarf.  My sister-in-law said, "What's an 'infinity scarf'?"

I wondered if perhaps infinity scarves are popular here in the UK, but simply known by a different name(?).  Or, are they relatively unknown on this side of the Atlantic? So, I did my best to explain that an infinity scarf is really just like a standard scarf, but is a large loop instead; so, that it can be loosely and comfortably wrapped, (at least twice), around the wearer's neck. Therefore, they have no ends that flap or fly away in a gale. :0)

My sister-in-law thought Jenny would like the infinity scarf, partly because it's a bit different.  Okay! An infinity scarf it is! I've never made one before, anyway...

In case you didn't know, my signature scarves I make are double-layered flannel, reversible scarves featuring a print-flannel on one side, and plain flannel in a coordinating colour on the reverse-side - just like the photo on the left. Typically, I decorate the ends by hand-sewing accent buttons.  Occasionally, I make them fancier with ribbon and/or lace trimmings.

Oooh! Wait a minute! What if I created a scarf that would be a cross between the two styles for a bit of fun and versatility?!  Hmmm...

Here's how I did it:
  • I cut the chosen fabric pieces to the appropriate length.  Typically, I aim for my scarves to be about 5 - 6 feet in length.  However, because of the direction of the garden-bird print Jenny chose, I had to splice the fabric; that way, when the scarf is worn as a standard hanging scarf, one side of the print won't be upside-down.
  • The width is normally around 12 inches to allow for seam allowances - 1/2-inch seam allowance on all sides.
  • With the printed side face down on the plain flannel piece of the same size, I pinned them together.
  • Next, I marked the centre of each short scarf-end with a pin.  Then, I cut four pieces of 12-inch long ribbon - two ribbons each were centred and pinned at both scarf-ends. I centred the ribbons by centring one long ribbon-edge along the marked centre of each short scarf-end.  The long, trailing ribbon-ends were tucked in; so that they would be on the outside when the fabric is turned after the seams are sewn.
  • Once fabric and ribbons were pinned in place, I sewed around 3-1/2 edges of the scarf: (1) to sew the ribbons in place at both ends; (2) to allow an opening large enough to turn the fabric right-side out.
  • I turned the fabric.  Through the opening, I made sure the four corners were nicely-shaped, before sewing both short scarf-ends to close the opening with a neat top-stitch.
  • Lastly, the decorative accent buttons were sewn by hand on both sides and ends of the scarf - three buttons on each end on both sides.
The nice features of this scarf design are:
  • The ribbons can be tied into a neat bow, (or left to trail), when worn as a simple scarf.
  • It can be worn as a 'faux-infinity' scarf by wrapping the scarf like an infinity scarf, and tying a ribbon-bow at the ends to complete the circle - [as shown in photo above].
  • Can be worn as a sash - [as shown in photos below].




After my long hiatus from creating things, I think my

Reversible-'Faux Infinity' Scarf Is Something To Tweet About!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.